Monday, October 1, 2012

Garden2Table 2012/2013

This year we are lucky to have an amazing group take over Garden2Table at the University of Guelph. A combination of Hotel and Food Administration, Human Nutrition, and Agricultural majors bring a diverse mix to the table. We all have a background in food, and share a strong passion for eating well, eating sustainably, and sustainable food practices. 


Introducing the new team:




Children's Programming: Megan and Teresa
College Royal: Michelle and Alex
Fundraising Event (Fall): Aimee
Funding/Communication/PR: Emily

My name is Megan Burns and Teresa and I are running this year’s children’s programming. I am very excited about this role and already have tones of big plans in the making! I am currently heading into my fourth and final year at University of Guelph and am in the Applied Human Nutrition program. Throughout my years at Guelph I have volunteered at the GCVI breakfast program, College Royal, and was the first year representative for AHNSA. I have had various work experiences with children running cooking groups, making presentations, playing fun nutrition games, as well as running a summer breakfast program called Healthy Living by the Rideau. I was immediately drawn to the Garden2Table program due to my experiences as well as personal interests in whole foods, nutrition, and healthy living. I look forward to working with the schools, Teresa, the entire Garden2Table team, and our wonderful volunteers this upcoming school year!

Hi everyone! My name is Alex Chesney and I am a third year nutrition student here at Guelph. I grew up on a fruit and vegetable farm and have also been passionate about fresh, local foods. When I heard about Garden2Table, I was so excited! It was the perfect fit for me. During the summer, I attend various farmer's market and not only sell our produce, but also educate our customer's on the food's origin, and the importance of local food. I can't wait to have another opportunity to do this, through Garden2Table. I'm super excited for this upcoming year, and I hope everyone makes an effort to check out our events!

My name is Michelle and I am a third year student in the B.Sc (Agr.) program with a major in organic agriculture. My focus has been on sustainable farming practices with an interest in tropical agriculture. My relationship with food has been an interesting one! After years of formal training in the hospitality industry, my passion for how food is grown pushed me towards the University of Guelph. I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to interact with elementary students and engage in conversation about how much work goes into our food, how amazing plants are and how awesome our farmers are. I look forward to learning a lot from this experience as well!

Hello, my name is Aimee Fowler and I am in my fourth academic year for Hotel and Food Administration, Co-op. I am planning and orchestrating the Fall Fundraiser for the G2T program. The reason why I love Garden2Table: For two years I helped out the previous G2T at the Collage Royale events. It was through my volunteering that I really gained an program and how much is done. One of the greatest aspects of the program is seeing kids are! They love learning about food and getting dirty (what kid doesn't like to play point). Through games, tasters and engaging bulletin boards we are able to engage knowledge - and the food is ALWAYS tasty!
The garden has so much to offer (no matter where your garden is). Whether
front or backyard, share in a community garden, or have access to an organic farm like Guelph - go out and get a little dirty, the food that you get from your own garden always tastes better!

My name is Emily Jago and I am a fourth year HAFA student. My role in Garden2Table is Communications and Funding; everytime you read this blog, the voice is mine. Food has always been my biggest interest; history and culture, making and trying new things, and of course eating! Over the last three years my interest in local, organic and sustainable food practices has grown and I'm so excited to get to share this with my peers through Graden2Table.

My name is Nicole De Athe. I graduated from the University of Guelph in 2010,
Bachelor of Commerce degree in Hotel & Food Administration. In 2009, I helped initiate the Garden2Table program, and have since remained involved as a volunteer. This year I join G2T as Director of Development. I am passionate about what we do, and my role will help grow and build on what is accomplished each year. I will also be available as a mentor to the University of Guelph students leading the program, to assist in their learning. I hope to increase awareness of Garden2Table within the community, and am excited about our new outreach school programming this year; through hands-on learning programs, we can connect more children to their food.


Keep an eye on the blog as the fall progresses. We have some great events coming up; starting this week with our first Elementary School visit!

As always, I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment